Q: Tell us how it all started
A: I have always loved fashion and creativity. The idea that you could create something out of nothing.I have always loved watching fashion tv, i kept fashion magazines. Even though i wasn’t conscious of it being a passion it has always been there . Over the years i have had people com up to me and they were like “Tolu I’m going for an event, can you tell me what to wear” and i find myself providing that service for them. At a point in life i just knew and decided this is what i want to do. I spoke to my mum and put together some savings which was under four hundreds thousand naira. I got a machine and a tailor and i started business. It wasn’t easy at first as i had to deal with tailors who didn’t understand their jobs and the common mistake where people think I’m a tailor. A designer is different from a tailor. We had other problems like electricity, transportation and getting the right fabrics.
Over the years things have changed and now I’m working with a lot of people. My job has taken me places that i didn’t think it would be possible. I have clients calling from outside Nigeria. My turn over is 3 times what i put into the business and its being totally wonderful.
Power Points to note
- Passion; love what you do, do what you love
- If you hate your 9-5, its a sign or indication you are in the wrong career or place
- You can overcome challenges
- It gets better
- Everyone has something they are passionate about, but you have to discover it
- Take every opportunity to discover yourself
- Have an exit plan from your 9-5
- TAKE ACTION
- Challenges would come but if you persevere you will overcome and win
- If you stay with it you would have outstanding success
- U.S. Airports Made Over Half A Million Dollars From Lost Change Last Year
- A Classic example of Success, Cordia Harrignton overcame Poverty to become one of the Most Powerful Women in Businesses today (Rags to Riches -Part II)