South Africa’s government has vowed to crack down on xenophobic violence, after arresting more than 300 people for a range of crimes against migrants.
Authorities said on Sunday in Johannesburg that 307 suspects had been arrested for a range of xenophobic-related crimes.
Security agencies have also increased the police presence on the ground after at least eight deaths in anti-immigrant violence in the past week.
“They have actually pushed other people to leave their own comfort zones, their homes,” David Mahlobo, the Minister of State Security, said.
More than 1,000 people have been displaced after violence against foreign nationals flared up on March 30 in the country’s coastal province of KwaZulu-Natal, whose capital is Durban.
The attacks soon spread inland to the country’s financial hub, Johannesburg, in Gauteng province.
On Saturday, another two people were reported killed, bringing the death toll in the latest wave of attacks to eight, South African police said.
Meanwhile, an uneasy calm prevailed in Johannesburg on Sunday, on the third day since violence against foreigners erupted in the city.
- D'Banj, Fally Ipupa; African music stars spotted with Kenya Moore in Washington DC
- Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns of 6,000 Job Losses